My website: raeven.be
I'm proud to present our spot for the Belgian Development Cooperation. I worked on this spot for a few months, and can say I'm happy with the final result. Production wasn't straightforward as the spot does not have a voice-over, which means the visuals alone have to tell the story (along with the sound effects). And on a technical level, the fact that the spot is basically one long sequence didn't make things easier.
- All elements except for the hands are animated in 3D.
- No concept art was used, apart from a few storyboard sketches. The look and feel of the spot was established during production.
- The school cafeteria was originally a market scene with all sorts of food and spices (a render of the original scene is included in this article:raeven.be/archives/belgian-development-cooperation-spot/).
- My own artistic skills were used to create the children's drawing :)
Some technical details:
- The spot was rendered using the new Physical renderer (Cinema 4D R13) . Except for small things like color correction, no post work was applied.
- The growing plants and fluid sim were created using Dpit Plants & Effex. Apart from this, no plugins were used.
- Thanks to a few optimizations and tricks, each frame with Indirect Illumination rendered under 30 minutes a frame, which made it possible to render the spot in-house.
Modelling, texturing, lighting, animation, compositing: Marijn Raeven
Additional modelling: Pavel Zoch
Rotoscoping (hands): Jean Pourveur
Live shoot (hands): Emanuel Vanderjeugd
Sounddesign: Kwinten Van Laethem
Director: Benoit de Clerck
Producer: Jasper Moeyaert (Geronimo)
Client: Geronimo/Belgian Development Cooperation
In association with Labrats