Ylna Grams, base leader at Port Lockroy, outpost of the British empire on the Antarctic peninsula, takes Emily Payne on a tour of the facility. Though now unused, the harbour was used for whaling between 1911 and 1931 and British military operations (Operation Tabarin) during World War II. It continued to operate as a British research station until 1962, at which point it was left to ruin.
In 1996 Port Lockroy was renovated and is now a museum and post office operated by the United Kingdom Antarctic Heritage Trust. It is designated as Historic Site no. 61 under the Antarctic Treaty and one of the most popular tourist destinations in Antarctica. Proceeds from the small souvenir shop fund the upkeep of the site and other historic sites and monuments in Antarctica.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?