MOTION TRIO - an accordion trio founded in 1996 by Janusz Wojtarowicz - leader and author of most of the compositions. They are a phenomenon on the European and global music market. Janusz Wojtarowicz, Paweł Baranek and Marcin Gałażyn are world class accordionists. Using all the advantages of the accordion in their creations, they continually explore the new possibilities of this instrument, changing the way that it is perceived. Their concerts are musical performances that contain action and drama.
MOTION TRIO has recorded seven albums - “Cry” (1998), “Pictures” (2003), “Play-station” (2002, 2009 Reedition), “Live in Vienna Sacrum & Profanum (2004), “METROPOLIS” (2007) “Michael Nyman & Motion Trio” (2009) and “CHOPIN” Live at La Folle Journee (2010)
MOTION TRIO has participated in many festivals and music events:
- Oxford Contemporary Music (England)
- Schleswig-Holstein Musik Festival (Hamburg) Germany
- Elbphilharmonie Concerts (Hamburg) Germany
- Fest Der Kontinente (Berlin) Germany
- La Folle Journee (Nantes, Tokyo, Warsaw)
- Festival d’Ile de France (Paris) France
- Musiques Metisses (Angouleme) France
- Reykjavik Arts Festival (Iceland)
- Montreal Jazz Fest (Canada)
- Quebec City Summer Festival (Canada)
- Solidarity of Arts (Gdańsk) Poland
- Musical Gardens (Warsaw) Poland
- Stresa Festival (Stresa e del Lago Maggiore) Italy
- Lowlands Festival (Leuvaarden) Netherlands
- Gaudeamus Festival (Amsterdam) Netherlands
- Migration Music Festival (Taipei) Taiwan
- Paleo Festival in (Nyon) Switzerland
- Alternativa Festival (Moscow) Russia
and many others ...
In recent years, Janusz Wojtarowicz along with Motion Trio conducted master classes at London’s Royal Academy of Music, at the University of Chicago and in the National Conservatory in Paris. In January 2008, the trio was enthusiastically received in New York’s Carnegie Hall, where the music of Krzysztof Penderecki, H.M. Gorecki, W. Kilar and their own was presented. The year 2008 ended with a concert in Vienna's Konzerthaus. The year 2009 held exciting collaboration with Michael Nyman. In April 2009 the first concert of “Michael Nyman Band and Motion Trio” was given at London’s Barbican Centre. The premiere musicians performed pieces like MGV “Musique a Grande Vitesse”, a song originally written for the Michael Nyman Band and Symphony Orchestra. In September 2009, the Baltic Philharmonic in Gdańsk held a premiere of Michael Nyman’s new work “The Beginning” (for the Motion Trio and the Michael Nyman Band). In September 2009, Motion Trio recorded a CD with Michael Nyman. On it were the composer’s most famous pieces arranged by Janusz Wojtarowicz. In the year 2010 the band opened concerts at the La Folle Journee du Nantes festival. They participated in the Japanese edition of that festival in Tokyo (“L'universe de Chopin”), and in Polish (“Chopin Open”) in Warsaw, performing at the inaugural concert next to Boris Berezovsky (piano), George Tchitchinadze (conductor) and Sinfonia Varsovia at the Grand Theatre in Warsaw. In October this year the ensemble performed at Michel Favory’s side in Comédie-Française - French National Theatre established in Paris by Moliere in 1680. In February 2011 they were awarded the badge - Honoris Gratia - in recognition of their contribution to Krakow and its inhabitants.