Dr. Steve Booth leads a discussion of 1 Samuel 8:4-20. This live, interactive Bible study is a ministry of Richmond's First Baptist Church, Richmond, Virginia. This session was recorded Sunday, June 10, 2012.
Change of Leadership
• Do you think Samuel was more hurt by the people’s rejection of Samuel, Samuel’s sons, or God?
Watch the Beowulf movie clip.
• Why do you think it’s a constant temptation to rely on people for our leadership rather than on God?
• What are some ways we reject God’s leadership personally, as a group, as a church?
Like the Other Nations
• Why do you think Israel wanted to be like the other nations? What were they afraid of?
• What did God and Samuel want for Israel? Why would God give in to what Israel wanted?
God Gives Room
Watch The Adjustment Bureau movie clip.
• How different might Israel’s history have been even though God knew it would be a harmful thing?
• Why did God allow Israel to choose a king even though God knew it would be harmful?
• Do you think God has a set plan that everyone follows or that God allows us to change things?
• How might we tell the difference between God’s choice for leadership from our own choice?