Mother to Mother beautifully dramatises the novel of the same name written by Sindiwe Magona about the murder of Amy Biehl. Featuring South African singer, actress and playwright Thembi Mtshali, Mother to Mother is engaging, thought-provoking and deftly constructed cinema.
FESTIVALS & AWARDS:
- Encounters South African International Documentary Festival 2020 where it received the second prize in the Adiaha Award for Best Documentary Film.
- Africa Human Rights Film Festival 2020
- Africa Rising International Film Festival 2020 (ARIFF)
- Sydney South African Film Festival 2021 (SSAFF)
- AM-FM Film Festival 2021
- 2021 SAFTA for Best Documentary Feature
- 2021 SAFTA for Best Cinematography
- 2021 SAFTA for Best Sound
Available on Showmax.
Directed by: Sara CF de Gouveia
Produced by: Carol Shore, Cati Weinek, Maralin Vanrenen, Dumi Gumbi & Ashley Smith
Production Manager: Bernice Linderoth
Director of Photography: Gray Kotzé
Additional camera: Shamiel Albertyn, Michael Carter
Edited by: Khalid Shamis
Original Music by: Tiago Correira-Paulo
Projection artist: Inka Kendzia
Production and development manager: Olwethu Yolanda Ncokotwana
National Film and Video Foundation coordinator: Katlego Moseamedi
This film was funded by the National Film and Video Foundation of South Africa.