Hannah explores the playful ambition of Hannah Dempsey, a young dancer and athlete with a disability.
The film is a celebration of motion, energy and elegance of human movement, evoking the power of adrenaline in the young Hannah. It makes the connection between art and sport with emphasis on the athlete-dancer relationship.
It is also an exploration of ways to challenge and subvert representations of physical and mental disability.
Hannah’s personal achievements reveal that disability is no barrier to creativity. Her life challenges society’s preconceptions and prejudices.
In making this film, I was able to explore Hannah’s aspirations and present them as a symbol of the hope that the London Olympics in 2012 represents for all of us.
Director, Producer Editor & Sound Design: Sérgio Cruz
Cast: Hannah Dempsey
Cinematographer: Dominik Rippl, Sérgio Cruz and Tom Ellis
Camera Assistant: Bruno Ramos
Music: Roberto Crippa
Sound Capture: Duncan Whitley
Production coordinator: Carl Simmonds
Executive Producer: Vicky Bloor
Hannah's Assistants: Lynne Dempsey and Hannah Oliver
Country of Production: Greece, England and Iceland
Support: South East Dance, Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Arsts Council/England, Alternative Routes and Fábrica de Movimentos.
- Jury award in the Barcelona sports film festival, Spain.
- Particular Eye/World Outlook Prize in IDILL 2011 international dance online short film festival, Belgium.
- Best experimental film in the Arouca film festival, Portugal.
- Pamela K. Walker Award in the Superfest, USA.
- Best Portuguese film in the InShadow film festival, Portugal.
Exhibitions / Screenings:
- ARTE tv, France / Germany.
- Sport Movies & Tv 2012 – 30th Milano International FICTS Fest, Italy.
- Riurau Film Festival, Spain.
- International Dance Idependent Festival COCOA, Argentina.
- Barcelona Sports Film Festival, Spain.
- Sprout Film Festival, USA.
- Oslo Screen Festival, Norway.
- Videodance Festival of Chile.
- Screening, "A sideways antidote to the 2012" Olympics, London, UK.
- LOIKKA festival, Finland.
- Dance on screen festival Cinedans / IDILL winners of 2011, Netherlands.
- On-line dance film festival IDILL , Belgium.
- On-line film festival Stream, Netherlands.
- Arouca film festival, Portugal.
- Videoholica, Video Art Festival, Bulgaria.
- Cine City, The Brighton Film Festival, England.
- VIDEOEX Experimental Film & Video Festival, Switzerland.
- Berlin International Directors Lounge, Germany.
- Contemporary art center of Almada, Portugal.
- Loving Art Making Art, curated by Lior Avizoor, Israel.
- Highlights of Directors Lounge at the gallery of the Los Angeles Art Association as part of the "Not A Car" exhibition, USA.
- Videodance program at the Prague Quadrennial, Czech Republic.
- Dance film festival Danca em Foco, Brazil.
- Dance Camera West, USA.
- Video Danza BA, Argentina.
- TV Dinners Festival, England.
- Screening at Open Arts Cafe, England.
- European Film Festival Integration You and Me, Poland.
- Experimental film festival 700IS, Iceland.
- Art Without Borders festival, Iceland.
- Experimental film festival “Moves”, England.
- Intermedia Festival Intermodem, Hungary.
- Minimalen Short Film Festival, Norway
- Private view at Aubin Cinema and at Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation in London, England.
- Short film festival Curtas de Vila do Conde, Portugal.
- Solo show at Art Claims Impulse gallery , Berlin, Germany.
- Dance film festival IMZ dancescreen (Cinedans), Netherlands.
- Dance film festival InShadow, Portugal.
- Film festival Jumping Frames, China.
- Performance and new technologies festival FRAME research, Portugal.
- InArte Festival, Portugal.