Over the past few years, there has been a growth in camping nationwide that is being driven in part by the changing demographics of the U.S. population. Camping is becoming more representative of the overall population with more and more younger campers taking to the outdoors and bringing with them a different outlook on what camping is and should be, as well as being part of a more diverse segment of campers. These changes in the camper demographic are going to place a different set of demands on those who serve the camping sector of outdoor recreation, whether it is how campgrounds are designed, or the activities, services and amenities that are being provided.
1. Understand the changing demographics of camping.
2. Overlay the mindset of the new campers with the services and amenities provided by campgrounds.
3. What are the implications on infrastructure and accommodations moving forward.
4. Understand the challenges for those serving the outdoor sector.
5. Profile campers of different demographics, backgrounds and behavior.
6. Address the array of recreational activities and options that campers are seeking.
Scott Bahr, Cairn Consulting