Stephanie Smith's battle with E. coli has been one of the most high profile foodborne illness cases in history.
In 2009, Miss Smith contracted an E. coli O157:H7 infection after consuming contaminated ground beef. The former dance instructor was paralyzed from the waist down, and both her kidney function and cognitive abilities were impaired. Michael Moss of the New York Times won a Pulitzer Prize for the article he wrote about Stephanie Smith and the background of the beef that went into the burger that made her sick.
Marler Clark represented Miss Smith. Her lawsuit was settled in May, 2010 for an undisclosed sum