I had to check out of my hotel (after a really good night's sleep) at 10 and I had to be on my train back to Hamburg just before 23. Here are some of the places I made it to today...
1. Panoramapunkt– The views from this place were pretty damn awesome. To be honest, I would probably recommend going to this place before going to the top of the Berliner Fernsehturm, which you can see in the distance.
2. The Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas– I have mixed feelings about this, the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. It goes without saying that the design of this memorial is unique and you definitely feel a sense of confusion as you walk through it, but what about all of the non-Jews of Europe?
3. Reichstagsgebäude– While I didn't make an appointment to go in ahead of time, even just seeing this place from the outside blew me. I almost didn't even bother paying it a visit until I realized how close it was to the Brandenburger Tor. I'm glad I stopped. Lying down and watching the EU and German flags flying high over the building really was something else.
4. Gedenkstätte Berliner Mauer– I've been told there are other sections of what little remains of the Berlin Wall besides this one. I hope so because this section, and the area of town it was in, sucked. The whole thing was pretty underwhelming but it was cool to see another piece of history.
5. The Berliner Dom– Just before heading to the Hauptbahnhof, I ended my time in Berlin sitting and admiring this view.
I really liked Berlin but its massive size really intimidated me. I could very easily see myself living there but only if I had another chance to more throughly explore it beyond its tourist attractions. However, either way, after these two days in Berlin I have to say it doesn't compare to the epicness that is Hamburg.
I'm definitely glad Thomas forced/strongly encouraged me to make this trip to Berlin. I was able to create lots of memories, visit lots of places, and prove lots of things to myself over the course of 48 hours which will ultimately have a major impact on me.
♫ Beatsteaks - 'Meantime'
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?