At a time when we need to learn everything we can about bees to protect them, the lands where they are most abundant are suddenly being threatened. The Bees of Grand Staircase-Escalante is a research and documentary film project that follows two of the nation’s most prominent bee researchers as they return to their backcountry stomping grounds in southern Utah. Twenty years ago they showed us what an incredible hot spot for bee diversity this place is; now, they follow up on that work as the protections for these lands are being stripped away.
• Official selection for the Colorado Environmental Film Festival 2021
• Official selection for the 44th International Wildlife Film Festival (2021)
• Official selection for the Eugene Environmental Film Festival 2021
• Honorable Mention at the Deep Focus Film Festival 2021
• Featured film for World Bee Day 2021
The Bees of GSENM premiered Sept. 24, 2020. Future showings will be announced.
To learn more about the project, go to BeesOfGSENM.com.
Many thanks to Olivia Carril and Joe Wilson for agreeing to be part of this project.
Many thanks to the Grand Staircase Escalante Partners (gsenm.org), the Conservation Lands Foundation (conservationlands.org), and the Center for Biological Diversity (biologicaldiversity.org) for their help with making this film happen.
• Matt Kelly, director, producer, editor (bymattkelly.com)
• Tony DiZinno, director of photography, producer
• Joe Taylor, music and sound design
• Romy Rosemont, narrator
• Josh Gelman, advisor and fount of wisdom