“Reimagining possibilities for being, belonging, and togetherness”: Conversations & Closing Reception
Abstractions of Black Citizenship: African American Art From Saint Louis
Virtual Program | July 30, 2020
Abstractions of Black Citizenship: African American Art from Saint Louis is a group exhibition and public program series featuring works by Dominic Chambers, Damon Davis, Jen Everett, De Nichols, and Katherine Simóne Reynolds, five Black Saint Louis, MO-based artists. The exhibition abstractions.black/ presents painting, photography, mixed media, works on paper, sculpture, music, and video. Exhibition Curator, Jasmine Jamillah Mahmoud, Ph.D., introduces a series of dialogues among exhibition artists and scholars writing for the forthcoming Abstractions of Black Citizenship: African American Art From Saint Louis exhibition reader.
- **Opening from Jasmine Jamillah Mahmoud, Exhibition Curator, and Molly Mac, SU Galleries Curator
- start 5:03 // Kemi Adeyemi, University of Washington, in dialogue with exhibiting artist Katherine Simóne Reynolds
- start 20:01 // Nijah Noel Cunningham, Hunter College, in dialogue with exhibiting artist Damon Davis
- start 39:15 // Rebecca Wanzo, Washington University in St. Louis, in dialogue with exhibiting artist Jen Everett
- start 56:00 // Azzurra Cox, Gustafson Guthrie Nichol, in dialogue with exhibiting artist De Nichols
- start 1:17:42 //Rikki Byrd, Northwestern University, in dialogue with exhibiting artist Dominic Chambers
The exhibition was originally scheduled to run at Hedreen Gallery at Seattle University during Spring Quarter 2020. Due to the COVID-19 global pandemic, it has moved online
abstractions.black/ May 18- August 2, 2020 and now features a virtual public program series developed with continued sponsorship and support from Hedreen Gallery, the Pigott Endowment for the Arts, and Seattle University Department of Art and Art History.
The exhibition is curated by Jasmine Jamillah Mahmoud, Assistant Professor in Arts Leadership at Seattle University.
**Video Poster Images: 'I'll Be Your Shadow, You Be My Shade' by Dominic Chambers; 'Black Notes' by De Nichols; 'Half Face Mask' by Katherine Simóne Reynolds