Mariners Chapel was built in 1849 to meet the needs of the Sailors and boatmen arriving at the docks from around the world and the inland waterways. The Chaplain met arriving ships and services could be held on the quayside as ships turned round quickly. The Church also provided lessons in literacy and a coffee bar to combat drunkenness. While the commercial docks have gone the present Church is still serving the area spiritually and practically. The Chapel in its simple beauty is a quiet spiritual space for those visiting the docks.
Come and hear more….