Good sleep is not as elusive as you think. It may take a little time, but with practice you can create better sleep habits and better health. Profound, deep relaxation for 30 min. today will transform your life and health.
1. [Practice the regular rhythms of sleep]—go to bed and wake up at the same time each day.
2. [Use your bed for sleep and romance only]—not for reading (except something soothing or calming) or television.
3. [Create an aesthetic environment that encourages sleep]—use serene and restful colors and eliminate clutter and distraction.
4. [Create total darkness and quiet]—consider using eyeshades and earplugs.
5. [Avoid caffeine]—it may seem to help you stay awake but actually makes your sleep worse.
6. [Avoid alcohol]—it helps you get to sleep but causes interruptions in and poor-quality sleep.
7. [Get at least 20 minutes of exposure to sunlight a day], preferably first thing in the morning—the light from the sun enters your eyes and triggers your brain to release specific chemicals and hormones like melatonin that are vital to healthy sleep, mood, and aging.
8. [Do not eat within three hours of bedtime]—eating a heavy meal prior to bed will lead to a bad night's sleep.
9. [Don't exercise vigorously after dinner]—it excites the body and makes it more difficult to get to sleep.
10. [Write your worries down]—one hour before bed, write down the things that are causing you anxiety and make plans for what you might have to do the next day to reduce your worry. It will free up your mind to move into deep and restful sleep.
11. [Take a hot salt/soda aromatherapy Ultrabath]—raising your body temperature before bed helps to induce sleep.
12. [Get a massage or stretch before bed
13. [Warm your middle
14. [Avoid medications that interfere with sleep]—these include sedatives antihistamines, stimulants, cold medication, steroids, and headache medication that contains caffeine (such as Fioricet).
15. [Use herbal therapies—try 300-600 mg of passionflower, or 320 mg – 480 mg of valerian root extract one hour before bed.
16. [Take 200 to 400 mg of magnesium citrate or glycinate before bed]—this relaxes the nervous system and muscles. Take magnesium citrate if you tend toward constipation and magnesium glycinate if you tend toward loose bowels.
17. [Try other supplements and herbs]—calcium, theanine (an amino acid from green tea), GABA, 5-HTP, and magnolia can be helpful in getting some shuteye.
18. [Try 1-3 mg of melatonin at night]—melatonin helps stabilize your sleep rhythms.
19. [Get a relaxation, meditation, or guided imagery CD
20. [See your doctor]—