Brantwood, on the shores of Coniston Water, was the home of John Ruskin till his death in 1900. The house is situated in a perfect position with views across Coniston Water to the Coniston fells. Ruskin laid out the gardens in 1871, which along with woodland cover 30 acres of the 250 acre estate, and they are a joy to wander through.
The Professor's Garden was Ruskin's favourite garden. It represented the lowly mountain crofter's plot and was dedicated to plants which were good for both body and soul.