LISTEN & REPEAT - BASIC ESL - LESSON 22
Learn more about PRONUNCIATION of -ED w/ SIMPLE PAST VERBS + QUESTIONS of MEASUREMENT: basicesl.com/workbook-2/lesson-22/
English for BEGINNERS | Videos – Workbooks – Examples – Exercises
Lesson 22 VOCABULARY VIDEO: youtu.be/O7Crb9dtQM0
BASIC ESL - LESSON 22 - Exercise i Audio: youtu.be/Qt1YTLSkw14
Buy WORKBOOK 2: amazon.com/wordtoword
Get a DICTIONARY: basicesl.com/product-category/dictionaries/
• Measurement/Length, Width, & Depth
• Pronunciation of -ed with past tense verbs
• Questions about measurement
Simple past tense verbs end in -ED. The pronunciation of --ED depends on what the ending of the verb SOUNDS like.
There are three ways to pronounce the -ED ending:
If the base form ends in a sound like /d/ or /t/, the -ed is pronounced /id/.
Example: needed [need/id/]
If the base form ends in a sound like /p/, /f/, /s/, /sh/, /x/, /ch/ or /k/, the -ed is pronounced /t/.
Example: guessed [guess/t/]
For all other past tense verbs, the -ed is pronounced /d/.
Example: moved [move/d/]
Questions about measurement are asked with the question words WHAT or HOW.
• What is the length of the table?
• How long is the table?
• What is the depth of the lake?
• How deep is the lake?
• mile → mi. • kilometer → km.
• foot → ft. • meter → m.
• inch → in. • centimeter → cm.
Memorize the vocabulary from Lesson 22. The vocabulary from Lesson 22 is mostly measurement related nouns, adjectives, and verbs.
• Find a ruler or tape measure. Measure the height, width, length or depth of different items in your home. Practice asking and giving the measurements of these items.
How tall is my refrigerator? My refrigerator is six feet tall.
What is the height of my refrigerator? The height of my refrigerator is six feet.
How wide is your bed?
What is the height of your front door?
How long is your hallway?
What is the thickness of your bilingual dictionary?
Do you like the American/United States customary units measurement system? Do you prefer the metric system? What things do you have to measure in your every day life?
PRACTICE! PRACTICE ! PRACTICE!
• Find LESSON 22 resources: basicesl.com/workbook-2/lesson-22/
• Watch LESSON 22 vocabulary video
• Complete LESSON 22 workbook exercises
• Download LESSON 22 vocabulary exercises
• Watch ENGLISH language VIDEOS, SHOWS and MOVIES
• Practice your PRONUNCIATION at home EVERY DAY
• Ask your local LIBRARY about ESL CLASSES or ENGLISH CONVERSATION groups
• Read your favorite MAGAZINE in ENGLISH at night before bed
• Get a BILINGUAL DICTIONARY and look up NEW WORDS
• Buy ESL WORKBOOKS to IMPROVE your ENGLISH with WRITING
WHAT IS BASIC ESL?
• ENGLISH language LESSONS for BEGINNERS
• BASIC 45 lessons include VIDEOS and WORKBOOKS
• Improve LISTENING, SPEAKING, READING + WRITING
• Learn by EXAMPLES, improve through EXERCISES
Our lessons introduce English to beginners through example. The vocabulary and grammar examples in the lesson videos come from our workbooks. We do not focus on grammar explanations using difficult language. We build simple examples around the lesson grammar to show beginners clear correct English. Basic ESL gives students a chance to practice the lessons through writing exercises. The workbooks provide lots of exercises for students to practice the lesson vocabulary and grammar.
• LISTEN and REPEAT, practice PRONUNCIATION
• VOCABULARY videos are topical with illustrations
• GRAMMAR videos explain concepts through examples
The BASIC 45 lesson videos include English vocabulary and grammar examples for beginners. The videos have an easy steady pace. Learners listen to a native English speaker while reading the examples. The videos are designed so students can practice their pronunciation by repeating examples many times.
• BASIC 45 lessons in 3 workbooks
• BEGIN with Workbook 1 - Lesson 1
• BUILD your ENGLISH lesson by lesson
Writing, reading and listening exercises for Lessons 1-45 are found in Basic ESL Workbooks 1, 2 and 3. Exercises give students the opportunity to improve and correct their English skills. Each lesson builds on the lessons before. The BASIC 45 lessons provide a foundation for students to feel confident about their English.