A Documentary about modern China through the eyes of a wide range of people.
Cheng Huan Fa is a young photographer with a strong visual sense. Lü Sha has a sharp mind with a passion for German culture. Yang Zhen is a gifted and clever illustrator who is in touch with very particular persons. They are former students of mine.We teamed up and went in the streets of Beijing to ask similiar questions to a wide range of people, portraying through a grasp of its people what is China today.
- The keeper of a garden
- An retired doctor
- A young banker who feels guity for his high salary compared to his family members
- A joyful street guard
- A child from West China
- An very determined and energetic waitress
- A struggling street night vender
- A night guard
- A young hairdresser
- A highschool student who has a very clear idea of her career and handles herself her family's real estate
- A young man who's been beat up by his parents as a chlid because he couldn't hear very well. They died very early, leaving him without an identity card. He went to Beijing but couldn't find a job. He's staying all day long in the Mc Donald's of a shopping mall, "because it's warm" he says. He hangs out inside the mall, watches the windows, and comes back, He has no revenue and suffers from brain damage. No one seems to consider his presence.
- A talented and succesful designer who started up his own studio and keeps growing
- The owner of a bar
- A filmmaker working in TV series
- A rock band
- Students from the Ant Tribe, living in a village far away from Beijing, renting a tiny room for 20$ a month while looking for a job. Some stay years there.
Each of them has their own vision of life. This project has been inspired from the result of an exercise I gave to my students while teaching in Beijing.