Graduate Chair and the Bess W. Heyman Professor of Political Science, Ian Lustick weighs in on the new president’s challenges and opportunities for U.S. foreign policy.
1. Should President Obama begin lower level talks with Iran and groups such as Hamas?
2. To what extent can lessons learned in Iraq be used to improve the situation in Afghanistan?
3. What will characterize the relationship between NATO and Russia going forward?
4. Under what conditions might China enter into a military conflict with the United States?
5. If the Obama administration changes U.S. policy toward the Middle East, will high levels of aid continue to be directed to Israel and Egypt?