The team behind Vita magazine presents the second in a series of cookery spots. In this episode, Julia and Steve run through how to make spiced couscous with chicken and almonds. The recipe is easy to make, great for involving children and doesn’t even really need any ‘cooking’.
2tsp of your favourite Indian curry paste (we used tikka paste)
6 ready to eat dried apricots, chopped
150ml hot chicken stock
1 large or 2 small skinless cooked chicken breasts, shredded
2 spring onions, sliced
2tbsp flaked almonds, toasted and broken up
a small bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
a small bunch fresh mint, chopped ( or 2 tsp mint jelly)
150ml natural yogurt (with 1 tsp honey, optional)
salt and pepper to season
- Measure the couscous into a large bowl.
- Mix the curry paste and apricots with the chicken stock until the paste has dissolved.
- Pour the mixture over the stock. Cover the bowl with clear film and set aside for 5 minutes.
- While the couscous is standing, stir the mint (or mint jelly) into the yogurt. Add salt, pepper and honey to taste.
- Break up the couscous with a fork and stir through the chicken, spring onions, almonds and parsley.
- Serve the couscous dressed with the minty yogurt.