Where do I begin?

Indonesia, Jakarta. First time. First time shooting cinema with my wife. First time for her ever shooting cinema. Limited gear.

I met Dwiko back in 2009 in India while working on the City of Lakes set vimeo.com/9856236. He was one of the photographers for the wedding and after the 9 day intense shoot, we went our separate ways but stay in contact via social media.

In 2010 I met up with Dwiko in London and crashed at his place. We hit it off, and I explained to him at the time, about our future travel plans, which included Indonesia. Fast forward to 2011 and we were asked to be his photographer for the wedding. Shweet.

2-3 weeks prior to the wedding I was speaking with Dwiko and he asks if we can shoot cinema instead. Say wha?

Now while I've done my fair share of shooting cinema alongside some of the best, but I hadn't at this time shot a lot of weddings of my own. Natisha had never shot cinema period.

But Dwiko begged so we said we'd tackle it (okay he didn't beg, but I was up to the challenge. Yes I was. Natisha.. well not so much ;)). We flew into Indonesia with our travel gear that we've taken on several trips now. This consisted of:

-5D Mark2
-16-35mm 2.8
-135mm 2.0
-24mm 1.4
-45tse 2.8

Support gear:

-Glidecam 1000HD
-DIY homemade lightweight slider
-Manfrotto monopod 680B
-Joby Ballhead X

Yeah. And we're suppose to shoot a beautiful wedding in Indonesia. Dwiko said he'd be able to get us a little extra gear when we arrive, which consisted of:

-Two Manfrotto Tripods (photo ball heads, no fluid video heads)
-5D Mark2
-50mm 1.2
-70-200 2.8IS

The wedding itself consisted of about 2 days of shooting. The first day was the Mappacchi which took place at Febrina's grandmothers house. We showed up early to shoot some of the getting ready and the event itself.

There is something tough to say about shooting a event you've never shot, and in a country you've never been in, along with a language you don't understand. I was given a gist of what would be happening, and after that it was all coverage.

Moving from tripod to monopod wasn't the easiest in the world. We had to unscrew the head completely every time and screw it back onto a monopod (after removing the 1/4-3/8 adapter). The DIY slider I made back at home was designed to be as light as possible so I could take traveling with us for the 3 months of travel after the wedding. Despite it's size, build, it actually worked out quite well. I custom machined it to take out as much weight at possible at my dad's CNC Machine shop.

The wedding ceremony day consisted of the Nikka itself, along with a Chinese tea ceremony, then the reception later on. This was truly unlike any wedding we had seen before (and so was their cake!)

This is my first highlights I ever have edited and granted with the obstacles we had to overcome, I'm extremely pleased with it. My 2nd shooter (wife!) was extremely stressed (if you ask her she says it was the most stressful thing she's ever done!) but together we managed to pull out a highlight clip that I'm extremely happy with.

Big thanks to Roy at foreachlove.com (their photographer) who helped me out throughout the day with gear use, updating me with whats going on, having some extra lights setup for us and more.

And of course, thank you to Dwiko and Febrina. Your trust in us allowing to put this highlight clip together and capture your wedding day means the world to us. We wish you both all the best!

PS: Thanks to Vinny, Pete, Hanne and Anjja for all your help and support as well ;) Good times!

Loading more stuff…

Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?

Loading videos…