Documenting the installation of brake pads and rotors on a 1992 Volvo 240. Please consult a professional if you have any questions. Parts from fcpgroton.com
* Prep: You’ll need 13 and 14mm sockets, box end wrenches, a torque wrench, a mallet, and channel-lock pliers. Raise car on jack stands and remove wheel.
* Remove Pads: Pull out small clips. Remove both pins holding pads in place. Squeeze pads against caliper. Pull out pads and shims.
* Remove Caliper: Unscrew bolts on back-side of caliper (13mm & 14mm). Pull caliper off rotor and use wire coat hanger to hang from coil spring.
* Replace Rotors: Remove small screws holding rotor in place. Knock rotor with mallet to dislodge, then pull rotor off of lug bolts. Install new rotor.
* Replace Caliper: Place caliper over rotor and screw in bolts. Torque to 100Nm (75 ft-lb) for front and 58 Nm (43 ft-lb) for rear.
* Install Pads: Apply anti-squeal goo to shim and affix shim to rear of pad. Squeeze caliper pistons and slide pads into slot. Replace pins, springs and clips.
* Break In: Top up the brake fluid in case some has been displace. Gently pump brakes a few times before driving. Drive cautiously for the next 50 miles or so, gradually increasing the pressure you apply to the brake pedal to ease the pads in place.