The Economics of Happiness is FREE to watch. Please consider supporting our work by making a donation to the filmmakers, Local Futures here: localfutures.org/get-involved/donate/. Or you can rent or buy our film via Vimeo on Demand here: vimeo.com/ondemand/theeconomicsofhappiness or order the DVD via our online shop here: localfutures.org/store/The-Economics-of-Happiness-DVD-p16039081.
- Going Local is the Way to Repair our Fractured World - our Ecosystems, our Societies and our Selves. -
* Length 68 minutes
* Produced by Helena Norberg-Hodge, 2011 (founder & director of Local Futures)
* Written and directed by Steven Gorelick, John Page & Helena Norberg-Hodge
* Narrated by John Page
The Economics of Happiness describes a world moving simultaneously in two opposing directions. On the one hand, government and big business continue to promote globalization and the consolidation of corporate power. At the same time, people around the world are resisting those policies – and, far from the old institutions of power, they’re starting to forge a very different future. Communities are coming together to re-build more human-scale, ecological economies based on a new paradigm – an economics of localization.
To read more about the film, visit: localfutures.org/programs/the-economics-of-happiness/
Also available for free download is our 74-page Discussion Guide and Companion to the film, a resource designed for student use and informal discussion groups. It follows the film, chapter by chapter, expanding on the arguments and pointing to a wealth of new resources for further learning, reflection and action. To download the pdf, go to: localfutures.org/wp-content/uploads/the_economics_of_happiness_discussion_guide.pdf
The film has been translated into 26 languages. Find your language here: localfutures.org/programs/the-economics-of-happiness/translated-versions/
"A powerful film that cuts deeply to the heart of the global crisis. Magnificent!"
- David Suzuki, TV presenter and environmentalist
"This passionate film presents a clear and articulate vision of what a shift in the scale at which we do things would look like… timely and powerful."
- Rob Hopkins, co-founder of the Transition Town movement
"What's our favorite documentary of all time? The one film we wish everyone could see? Hands down, this is it. It is truly one of the most important and useful films for inspiring change that has been made in a generation."
- Films for Action
"This film connects the dots between climate chaos, economic meltdown, and our own personal suffering."
- Joanna Macy, author of World as Lover, World as Self
- Best Direction, EKOFilm 2011, Czech Republic
- Best in Show, Cinema Verde Film Festival
Golden Palm Award, Mexico International Film Festival
- Judges' Selection (Theme of Human Unity), Auroville Film Festival, India
- Audience Selection (Theme of Human Unity), Auroville Film Festival, India
- Bronze Award, Oregon Environmental Film Festival
To learn more about our work and how you can get involved, visit: