WORLD HUMANITARIAN DAY - Melbourne Celebration 2012
In celebration of this year’s United Nations World Humanitarian Day, the UNAA Victoria held a public forum to discuss Australia’s contribution to humanitarian efforts worldwide and pay tribute to Australian aid workers.
The forum was held in partnership with AusAID, UNHCR, Oxfam Australia, Australian Red Cross, RedR and Humanitarian Crisis Hub.
World Humanitarian Day is a celebration of people helping people. It encourages us to reflect on our own lives and what more we as individuals, communities and governments can do to help those enduring conflict, disaster and hardship.
Guest speakers included:
• Catherine Walker, First Assistant Director General of Humanitarian & Stabilisation Division, AusAID
• Richard Towle, Regional Representative, UNHCR, Regional Office for Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the Pacific
• Bob Handby, Water and Sanitation Manager, Australian Red Cross
• Alan McLean, CEO, RedR Australia
• Meg Quartermaine, Humanitarian Operations Manager, Oxfam Australia
• Beth Eggleston, Humanitarian Advocacy Coordinator, Oxfam Australia