The platform changes, student registration additions, test administration improvements, and issue reporting access, that were updated for the MLS in 2021.
- Tablet Testing - The MLS may now be administered on a tablet, iPad or other mobile devices.
- Auto-save feature - Proctors may now help a student resume their test if there is an interruption. If you try to resume a test after more than 15 minutes has passed, you will be prompted to submit a request to the MLS team to unlock the test.
- Central District Administration - Central district accounts may now be issued to district administrators to test students and access reports for any schools in their jurisdiction.
- NYSSIS and OSIS use - Proctors in New York City can now use the Office of Student Information Systems or OSIS number, in lieu of the NYSSIS ID.
Final SIFE Determination
Administrators will be prompted to enter whether a student was determined to be SIFE or non-SIFE. An email will be sent with a link that directs you to edit the student information.
Please note that SIFE status is not determined by the MLS alone. Responses to the Home Language Questionnaire and the SIFE Oral Interview, as well as the Writing Screener and any other data points you collect should be triangulated with MLS results to determine whether a student is SIFE.
More information about SIFE identification is available on OBEWL’s SIFE website, and you can reach out to your regional RBERN, or OBEWL@nysed.gov for support on best practices identifying SIFE students.
Test administration page
- Tech Check - Proctors will be able to test the MLS technology if desired. Proctors may click a checkbox on the test login page that will run only the practice section.
Report an Issue
You can use the “Report an issue” link on the homepage if you have any technical difficulties. The link will lead to a form that prompts you for the relevant information so we can quickly help you find a solution.