The hymNext Project is a series of hymen sculptures. The human, female hymen is traditionally valued for virginity and purity, but its sexual symbolism has been altered for these art pieces.
They are made from my vaginal cells and animal tissue cells to create skin and membrane pieces that lived for about a month, then preserved. Each hymen possesses a unique symbolism that I created in the studio/laboratory. They are kept in ritual boxes to be given as gifts between lovers of any sexual orientation. This personal project encourages discussions between scientific research and body politics.
1. Unisex: equality of male and female sexes
2. Power: attracts universe's power to lovers
3. Mother: celebrates maternal influences
4. Vesica Piscis: pointed oval shape as birth canal
5. Duo Flames: two lovers in marriage
Website for Julia Reodica:
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?