The Three Mary’s at the Tomb surfaced around 1850 in Antwerp. Immediately it was attributed to Jan van Eyck. But at the major exhibition of Flemish primitives that was held in Bruges in 1902, it was presented as the only surviving painting by Hubert van Eyck, Jan’s mysterious elder brother. Since the Second World War, there has been doubt: Jan? Hubert? Or perhaps some other painter?
In the run-up to the major exhibition The Road to Van Eyck in Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, The Three Mary’s at the Tomb was examined once more and restored by Annetje Boersma and Eva van Zuien. This video shows the restoration process and the findings of the restorers about the composition of the paint and the working method of the painter. In addition, curator Friso Lammertse sets out on an investigation; he visits three locations that have played an important role in the history of the painting: Vierhouten, Richmond and Bruges. He is confronted with some unexpected surprises.
Also see the ARTtube video Everything is strange about this painting, about the restoration of The Three Mary's at the Tomb: ARTtube.nl
This video was made on the occasion of the exhibition The Road to Van Eyck, on show in Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen from October 13, 2012 to February 10, 2013.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?