BASIC ESL - LESSON 17 - Exercise H Audio
Learn more about COUNT and NONCOUNT NOUNS + Using QUANTIFIERS: basicesl.com/workbook-2/lesson-17/
English for BEGINNERS | Videos – Workbooks – Examples – Exercises
Lesson 17 VOCABULARY VIDEO: youtu.be/4rYkxqjS8oo
Lesson 17 GRAMMAR VIDEO: youtu.be/UZIuqy629vY
Buy WORKBOOK 2: amazon.com/wordtoword
Get a DICTIONARY: basicesl.com/product-category/dictionaries/
• FOOD / FOOD & DRINK
• COUNT & NONCOUNT NOUNS
• Using QUANTIFIERS
Count-nouns are nouns that can be counted with a number. They have singular and plural forms.
• Does he want an apple? (apple - countable noun)
• Yes, he wants four apples. (apple - countable noun)
Non-count nouns usually do not have a plural form. They can not be counted. Non-count nouns use quantifiers or other words to describe the amount.
• Do they want some coffee? (coffee - non-countable noun)
• Yes, they both want a cup of coffee. (coffee - non-countable noun)
Quantifiers are used when the exact amount or number of a noun is unknown.
• There aren't MANY bananas.
• Pass A FEW grapes.
• There isn't MUCH rice.
• Do you want A LITTLE butter?
• We have PLENTY of butter.
• I didn't get ENOUGH water.
Think about the different types of food in your house.
What type of food in your home are countable?
What types of food in your home are NOT countable?
Listen to English conversations between your friends or family or turn on an English television program. Listen for the quantifiers FEW, MANY, MUCH, LITTLE, PLENTY.
Identify countable nouns in your house.
How MANY bottles of water do you have?
How MANY shirts are in your closet?
How MUCH salt is in the salt shaker?
How MUCH coffee do you drink every day?
PRACTICE! PRACTICE ! PRACTICE!
• Find LESSON 17 resources: basicesl.com/workbook-2/lesson-17/
• Watch LESSON 17 vocabulary video
• Complete LESSON 17 workbook exercises
• Download LESSON 17 vocabulary exercises
• Watch ENGLISH language VIDEOS, SHOWS and MOVIES
• Practice your PRONUNCIATION at home EVERY DAY
• Ask your local LIBRARY about ESL CLASSES or ENGLISH CONVERSATION groups
• Read your favorite MAGAZINE in ENGLISH at night before bed
• Get a BILINGUAL DICTIONARY and look up NEW WORDS
• Buy ESL WORKBOOKS to IMPROVE your ENGLISH with WRITING
WHAT IS BASIC ESL?
• ENGLISH language LESSONS for BEGINNERS
• BASIC 45 lessons include VIDEOS and WORKBOOKS
• Improve LISTENING, SPEAKING, READING + WRITING
• Learn by EXAMPLES, improve through EXERCISES
Our lessons introduce English to beginners through example. The vocabulary and grammar examples in the lesson videos come from our workbooks. We do not focus on grammar explanations using difficult language. We build simple examples around the lesson grammar to show beginners clear correct English. Basic ESL gives students a chance to practice the lessons through writing exercises. The workbooks provide lots of exercises for students to practice the lesson vocabulary and grammar.
• LISTEN and REPEAT, practice PRONUNCIATION
• VOCABULARY videos are topical with illustrations
• GRAMMAR videos explain concepts through examples
The BASIC 45 lesson videos include English vocabulary and grammar examples for beginners. The videos have an easy steady pace. Learners listen to a native English speaker while reading the examples. The videos are designed so students can practice their pronunciation by repeating examples many times.
• BASIC 45 lessons in 3 workbooks
• BEGIN with Workbook 1 - Lesson 1
• BUILD your ENGLISH lesson by lesson
Writing, reading and listening exercises for Lessons 1-45 are found in Basic ESL Workbooks 1, 2 and 3. Exercises give students the opportunity to improve and correct their English skills. Each lesson builds on the lessons before. The BASIC 45 lessons provide a foundation for students to feel confident about their English.