Our word "personality" comes from the Latin persona, which originally referred to the mask an actor donned as he stepped onto the stage to play his role, the mask through (per) which he sounded (sonare) his part. The mask registered the role, while behind it the actor remained hidden and anonymous, aloof from the emotions he enacted. This, say the Hindus, is perfect; for roles are precisely what our personalities are, the ones into which we have been cast for the moment in this greatest of all tragi-comedies, the drama of life itself in which we are simultaneously coauthors and actors. As a good actress gives her best to her part, we too should play ours to the hilt. Where we go wrong is in mistaking our presently assigned part for what we truly are. We fall under the spell of our lines, unable to remember previous roles we have played and blind to the prospect of future ones. The task of the yogi is to correct this false identification. Turning her awareness inward, she must pierce the innumerable layers of her personality until, having cut through them all, she reaches the anonymous, joyfully unconcerned actress who stands beneath.
~Huston Smith, The World’s Religions
➢ Ontology: branch of Metaphysics (beyond the physical) dealing with the nature of being
➢ Religion: belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power; a particular system of faith and worship
➢ Axial Sages: ~3000 - 400 BCE, Buddha, Lao Tzu, Socrates, Plato, Confucius, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, mystics of the Upanishads
➢ Later Sages in the lineage: Jesus & Muhammad
➢ Living Religion concerned with Spirit/Spiritual/Source Connection vs. Material/Political Religion concerned with the integrity of the tribal mindset and continuity of laws and behaviors
Daoism Oral Linage
• Jade Purity School ~2k years old, off shoot of the High Purity School ~5k years old.
• Jeffrey Yuan, 88th Generation Daoist Priest
• Dr. David Chan & Dr. Yvonne Farrell
• The World’s Religions, Huston Smith
• How to Know God The Soul’s Journey into the Mystery of Mysteries, Deepak Chopra
• Exploring the Philosophy of Religion 4th Edition, David Stewart
• Our Religions The Seven World Religions Introduced by Preeminent Scholars from Each Tradition, Edited by Arvind Sharma
• The Diamond Sutra & The Sutra of Hui-Neng, Shambhala Dragon Edition, Translated by A.F. Price & Wong Mou-Lam
• Reflections on the Art of Living: A Joseph Campbell Companion, Edited by Diane Osbon
• Lectures and teachings from Dr. David Chan, Dr. Yvonne Farrell, Dr. Jeffrey Yuan, Dr. George Falcon
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?