HOMEFRONT 4 – WORLD WAR II AND EMPIRE
Speaker: Dr James Curran (World War II and Empire)
Interviewer: Scott Cumming
• Introduction of Dr James Curran.
• Rudd government’s 2008 introduction of the Battle for Australia Day.
• Australia’s self image as a ‘British Nation’ from the late 19th Century.
• The military threat from Asia and protection by the British.
• The Immigration Restriction Act – 1901 (The White Australia Policy).
• The military rise of Japan and Australia looks to the USA for protection.
• Britain’s alliance with Japan & Britain’s reaction to Australia hosting the Great White Fleet.
• Foreign relations between Australia, Britain, Japan and USA.
• Government policies of Australian defence.
• Fear of a Japanese invasion of Australia.
• Billy Hughes defends the White Australia Policy at the Paris Peace Conference.
• The impact of Japan as an ally of Australia and Britain in World War 1