We recently welcomed children from Marlborough Primary, High Street Primary, Oakwood Primary, Boringdon Primary, and Widey Court Primary, visiting as part of the Plymouth Excellence Cluster's Gifted and Talented programme.
We focused on In Pursuit of Art, using the paintings on display to create pieces of music. Hugh Nankivell lead the session through songwriting, percussion music, and finally improvised pieces based on the paintings, using pupils own instruments. Three films will be uploaded: a song written in the gallery by the children, a percussion piece, and finally a compilation of seven short instrumental pieces, based on different paintings.
What a brilliant day!
1) JMW Turner - Margate(?) From the Sea - 2 flutes, clarinet, 2 guitars
2) Gerard ter Boch - Portrait of a Young Man - cornet
3) Gerolamo dai Libri - The Virgin and Child with St Anne - 3 guitars
4) Jacopo Bassano - The Good Samaritan - tenor horn, 2 ukeleles
5) Sir Charles Eastlake - Contemplation - violin, 2 cornets
6) Sire Charles Eastlake - Cypresses at L'Arriccia - 2 guitars
7) Samuel Prout - Plympton Grammar School - 4 guitars