What are Varicose Veins?
Varicose Veins are swollen, twisted blood vessels that you can see just under the surface of the skin. Primarily varicose veins affect the legs and feet, but the condition can form in other parts of the body.
This common vascular condition usually can be noticed by bulging blood vessels on the surface of the skin that resemble blue or dark purple rope like structures. If left untreated, varicose veins can often lead to blood clots, pain, discomfort, skin ulcers and other health issues.
What Causes Varicose Veins?
The underlying cause of Varicose Veins can be from various reasons. Most commonly varicose veins are caused by heredity and by age, but also the condition can be caused by certain lifestyle factors.
• Surgery on the Legs
• Prolonged sitting or standing
• And Injuries
How to Prevent Varicose Veins
Although varicose veins may not always be preventable, there are certain steps a person can take to help prevent this condition.
• Elevate your legs when resting as much as possible.
• Watch and control your weight to avoid placing too much pressure on your legs.
• Don’t cross your legs for long times when sitting.
• Be involved in regular exercise to improve leg strength and blood circulation.
• Don’t stand or sit for long periods of time.
• Maintain a healthy low salt diet that is rich in high-fiber foods such as fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grains like bran.
For more information please visit veinsofhouston.com