This video of Our American Republic will discuss the structure of democracies as perceived by the founders and Greek philosophers. The United States of America is a federation of independent states and the Federal Government along with our States all operating as republics. In the present date, our understanding of democracy as a form of government may not accurately reflect the definition of the term as it was originally conceived. And, it was the effects on freedom from democracies (according to their original definition) that the authors of the Constitution feared. The founders wanted to ensure the government of the United States was NOT a democracy; so lets look find out why.
Sources: (Annotations visible with Adobe Flash)
1. Winston Churchill Quotation, quotationspage.com/quote/24926.html
2. Democracy, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/democracy
3. Federalist #10, constitution.org/fed/federa10.htm
4. Federation, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation
5. Confederation, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation
"Like" this project at: facebook.com/OurAmericanRepublic
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?