HOMEFRONT 6 – LOVE & WAR
Speaker: Rebecca Britt
Interviewer: Bindi Bow
• Letters as a means of communication and censorship.
• Airgraph letters that were photographed and developed once delivered.
• The feeling amongst war brides that their story hasn’t been properly told.
• The limited research and information about war bride stories.
• War brides living as widows or re-marrying.
• The story of Linda Brown’s photograph and the effects of letters on the morale of troops.
• Different mementoes sent (e.g. presents) but limited telephone contact.
• The time it took to receive mail varied due to a number of factors such as shipping.
• Methods women used to personalise their wedding dress e.g. embroidery.
• The emphasis of the wedding was not so much about the wedding dress.