Yeah...yeah...yeah Andrew, how hard could that be? This is the typical reaction I get. Granted, a few days soaking up the Tuscan sun, culture and delicious food was nothing to complain about. Stefan Wolansky, Brian Mullaney and I really worked as we tasted well over 325 wines during our 3 day trade tasting.
Wines tasted and categories covered were:
- 2008 Brunello Di Montalcino
- 2007 Brunello Di Montalcino Riserva
- Central Tuscany (Specifically the heart of Chianti Classico and its sub regions)
- Western Tuscany (Bolgheri & Maremma)
- New releases from Piedmont (Barolo, Barbaresco & Barbera)
- Southern/Central Italy
With 7 major regions covered like that there is going to be a lot of exciting offers and wines coming down the pike. Team Zachys has always been a firm believer in tasting trips like this as it is always best to go and find the wines that WE like the best rather than waiting for the wine world to come to us. To prove that point:
On the final day of the tasting and one of the last wines of the day (All wines were tasted blind)
• Wine #75 “Super dark and extracted color in the glass with incredible viscosity as the wine just clings to the sides of the glass. Very modern color and extraction...clearly a more progressive winemaker lending his hand to this wine. In the mouth it envelops completely in an ultra-ripe fashion. Not sure where it is from but this one is sure to be a CROWD PLEASER.”
Low and behold I get off the plane this past weekend to learn the new Wine Advocate #205 came out on Friday and the top scoring wine from the Southern & Central Italy reviews was THIS WINE. Zachys already had the inside track...and now you do as well.
We had a blast on our quick jaunt and now have plenty of ammunition to figure out some exciting new acquisitions to the store in the up and coming months.
Stay tuned as there are some great wines coming.
All my best,