Created and produced by Cirque Bijou and Desperate Men to celebrate the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Sailing events at Weymouth and Portland, Battle for the Winds was a project and a series of performances on an epic scale.
The seven counties of the South West were called to gather their winds and bring them to battle it out and Weymouth and see whose wind was fit to power the Sailing events. During the final battle, baddie Doldrum steals the winds, but an unlikely champion appears.
This short film collates some of the footage from the shows and their buildup.
- Seven companies of street theatre artists from all the counties of the South West with specially created Wind Gathering Vessels
- Brand new aerial performance from a crane high above the beach, directed by Billy Alwen and devised by a company of 7 of the UK's most exciting aerialists
- DiverseCity's company of 64 disabled and able-bodied performers from UK and Brazil, presentingBreathe
- 212 Bridgwater Carnivalites who set the beach ablaze with the first ever Squibbing display outside Bridgwater
- The awesome, primal spectacle of 2012 community participants wading into dark waters with flaming torches
- A spectacular display by the Royal Marines 4 Assault Squadron, who delivered the stone-hearted Doldrum to the beach amidst flares, ships and pyrotechnics
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?