Works selected by Matteo Ceriana, Director
The Accademia Galleries were instituted by Napoleonic decree of 1807 for the teaching of the Academy of Fine Arts. The monumental estate of the Accademia Galleries is located in the prestigious building of the Scuola Grande of Santa Maria della Carità, one of the most ancient lay fraternal orders of the city. The homonymous church of Santa Maria and the monastery of the Canonici Lateranensi, built by Andrea Palladio in 1561, are parts of the Accademia. Besides the works of academics, the museum received works from the suppression of religious and civil institutions, some prestigious legacies of illustrious Venetian collectors (Molin, 1816; Contarini 1838; Renier 1850) and several important acquisitions made by the Italian state after 1878 the most important of these was that of the famous Giorgione's Tempest. The museum also has a valuable group of drawings, for conservative reasons visible to the public only on the occasion of exhibitions, which counts among the most significant pieces a few sheets of Leonardo da Vinci and his circle. The museum has the largest collection of Venetian art painting, and from Veneto as well, from the fourteenth to the eighteenth century. You can admire masterpieces by Giovanni Bellini, Giorgione, Carpaccio, Titian, Tintoretto, Veronese, Tiepolo, Canaletto, Bellotto, Guardi
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?