Northwest Missouri FCA staff, Trevor Nashleanas, speaks to area athletes about the ways we miss God's purpose in making disciples of Jesus at EXCELeration on Tuesday April 2, 2013. He then offers 6 ways to effectively live out that purpose. Follow Trevor on Twitter: twitter.com/tnashleanas
1. What stood out to you most about mission distortions and why?
2. God’s mission is to create for himself a people for his own possession through the work of Jesus. We distort mission when we make it into anything other than making disciples of Jesus. In what ways do you tend to distort the mission of God in your life?
3. There are 8 common mission distortions: Proclamation, Apologetics, Mercy Ministry, Decisions, Community, Behavior Modification, Spiritual Disciplines and Uniformity. Which of these mission distortions are most dominant in our culture? How have you been affected by these distortions? How has tonight’s meeting changed your perspective?
4. There are 6 simple ways to live on mission: 1) Model obedience to Jesus 2) Answer honestly 3) Ask good questions 4) Establish friendships with non-Christians 5) Accept invitations 6) Extend invitations. Which of these methods of mission comes most natural to you? Which is most unnatural? How can you incorporate these missional methods into your daily life?
5. Impact Programs get distorted when we shift their purpose from mission to anything else. In what ways could, or has, an Impact Program on your team been distorted? What can we do to keep Impact Programs focused on God’s mission to make disciples of Jesus?