For 21 days in the month of February we had a timelapse camera running on a rooftop capturing a modular condo complex being assembled. I say assembled because that is basically how it happens, like lego. We had a few obstacles to overcome in order to pull this one off.
1 - We were only able to checking the camera 2-3 times throughout the timelapse for offloading and adjustments. and 2 - this was being shot over the month of February in Western Canada. Odds were against us as far as temperatures go. For roughly 2 weeks of the timelapse we had temperatures below -35C, during which times we had our fingers crossed that the battery wouldn't die, the solar panel wouldn't get covered in snow, and ultimately that the camera didn't freeze up.
We chose a Harbortronics housing and Canon t3i for this task. We had previously used this setup for a 70 day TL of farm crop growing from emergence to full maturity and it didn't skip a beat. This however, was a whole different ball game. The module has a solar panel that trickle charges the large internal battery to keep the unit powered but it still raised concerns because in those temperatures batteries can freeze up and stop working. Every time we checked things it kept running like a champ. The only problem was in the remaining 6 days, something malfunctioned and it stopped taking photos. Luckily the crucial part of the build that the client needed captured was complete.
For the slower portion of the build we captured 1 photo every 7.5 minutes starting at daylight until dark. The module setting portion of the build was set to happen over 4 days so we increased the camera to take a photo every 1.5 minutes to make sure we didn't miss anything. This too raised concern with the camera battery in the cold and not being able to keep up.
Ideal conditions, we would have been able to place the camera inside a building window to avoid any fog/frost build up in the mornings. That wasn't the case so we did have some frost issues in the mornings. Usually by about 9am they would melt off and the problem was gone.
The module itself was mounted a set of old tripod legs. We needed to weight it quite a bit so our redneck side came out and we used a pair of old brake rotors. They're heavy, metal, and rusted so being in the elements didn't matter. Worked like a charm, it didn't budge at all in winds +70km.