This film documents the conservation and restoration work carried out by the Byzantine Institute at Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, Turkey. It illustrates the Archangel mosaic and the fieldworkers drilling and repairing above the Archangel's mouth. The film also depicts the north tympanum lunette mosaics that represent Saint Ignatios Theophoros and Saint John Chrysostom. The first part of the film was filmed in ca. 1936, while the second part likely dates to 1940; both parts were filmed were on a 16mm KodaChrome Safety Film. Please go here for more information: doaks.org/icfa/moving-image-collections/hagia-sophia.
Film: Hagia Sophia, Istanbul: Conservation Techniques for Mosaics, Part 1, The Byzantine Institute and Dumbarton Oaks Fieldwork Records and Papers, ca. late 1920s-2000s, MS.BZ.004-02-04, Image Collections and Fieldwork Archives, Dumbarton Oaks, Trustees for Harvard University, Washington, D.C.