Music: Pieces Form The Whole by Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross
The topic of animal testing is becoming more and more popular. What facts do we know about this approach to research? For those who doesn't understand Italian (the most of you, I hope :) here you'll find the english version
Otherwise you can read the translation. Enjoy!
"The vast majority of the population sees animal testing as cruel yet necessary for medical progress.
In an article on the British Medical Journal, 5 authors asked: Where is the evidence that animal research benefits humans?
The answer is that there is no such evidence.
There are many differences among animal species:
- arsenic is harmless for toads, sheeps and porcupines; to humans it is poisonous
- amanita phalloides is harmless for cats; it is poisonous to humans
- aspirin is lethal for cats, is isn't for us
- chloroform is cancerous to femal rats; it is harmless to male rats
- morphine is a sedative for rats and humans; it is a stimulant for horses and cats
- AIDS, hepatitis B, malaria are lethal for humans; it isn't at all for chimpanzees
Overall 92% of new drugs passing animal testing later fails human trials (Pubmed, UK)
Scientists have developed tests that are far more accurate:
- MRI, CAT and PET scans
- Stem cell
- DNA chips
- Microfluidics chips
- Human DNA, cells and donated tissues and organs
- Microdosing in the human body
- Computer modelling
- Clinical observation
None of them uses animal testing nor takes it as an option.
Until authorities keep relying on vivisection for the drug approval process, this business won’t stop growing.
Animal testing takes money away from more effective research.
Clearly, animal tests are failing to protect people.
Let’s replace them with 21st century science.
What you can do:
01. Support the European Initiative Stop Vivisection. Sign and collect signatures.
02. Many popular charities use donations to fund animal testing.
Don’t support them.
For a list of charities that do not fund research on animals:
03.Take action in the political, social and medical fields and make medical research change.
04. In many countries students have the right to refuse to vivisect animals: what about your country?