Dr. Andrew, an economist, professor and onetime member of the Taft cabinet, is known as the founder of the American Ambulance's "Field Service" because he was the one who got the French Army to agree to integrate units of foreign volunteer ambulance drivers into their operations in the field. Thus, after April 1915 groups of cars and drivers informally detached from the American Ambulance of Paris were organized as "sanitary sections" under the direction of Andrew, while working in the field as part of the French Army Automobile Service. The great success of this "field service" obliged Andrew to free it from the constraints of hospital politics, and work independently out of new headquarters in Paris. The esprit de corps of this group of volunteers was remarkable---and was the basis of the AFS Association which sponsored the AFS French Fellowships after the war. Andrew then continued on in politics, becoming the elected representative of Massachusetts' Sixth District---- while promoting the new work of what was now known as "AFS". All this time, his home was on Eastern Point, in Gloucester---- Red Roof---- and the bridge leading into Gloucester was named in his honor.