Eleven Hindrances to Evangelism
1. FEAR—fear of rejection, persecution, not knowing enough, etc
2. BLAMING SINNERS—The excuse - “People are not interested, don’t care,” etc.
3. BLAMING THE GOSPEL— “It just won’t work like it used to.”
4. IRRELEVANT PERSONAL ISSUES/WEAKNESSES— “I’m too old.” “I’m too young.” “I’m too busy.”
5. PERSONAL ACTIVITIES—Jobs, hobbies, school events, sports, shopping, override our mission.
6. FOCUS ON THE CHURCH’S INTERNAL NEEDS—Thus, we forget our external mission.
7. CHURCH WORK—Spend much time in meetings but not carrying out the plans.
8. BLAMING THE BRETHREN— “My brethren are not enthusiastic,” etc. “Some brethren run people off, so I won’t bring people here.”
9. THINKING PEOPLE ARE GOING TO COME TO THE LORD ON THEIR OWN.— Did not the Lord “seek” the lost? (Luke 19:10) Did He not “send” the apostles into the world? (Mk, 16:15)
10. DECEPTIVE DISGUISES—Some seek to bring in the lost with entertainment, altering the worship, avoiding the whole counsel of God, compromising truth, etc.
11. APATHY—Have we ceased to care?