It's the final day of Cyber Security Awareness Week 2013 (31 May) so sit back and watch as NetSafeTV gets an exclusive interview with cyber criminal and all round bad guy General Phishinscam.
The General is visiting Tauranga, a city we know to be a popular hunting ground for online scammers and social engineering tricks, see the 2012 Orb data on this at blog.netsafe.org.nz/2012/08/13/almost-1m-in-losses-reported-to-netsafes-orb-website/.
We ask the General, what scams do well? Why do people fall for phishing emails and dodgy social networking links? And then speak with the locals about phishing emails, romance scams, txt scams and more. Remember:
- Be careful when you receive emails requesting urgent account verification
- Don’t download and open unexpected attachments
- Curiousity killed the cat – avoid clicking on video or photo links posted on your newsfeed
- Don’t respond, download files or click on links to websites you’re suspicious of
- Investigate any online offers carefully that appear to be too good to be true
Many thanks go to Gayne and Logan at First Dance Bridal Cars for acting as the General's evil henchmen for the day and transporting him around in suitable luxury. And thanks also go to Tony Burrows at Motion Pacific (motionpacific.co.nz) for his hard work on all 5 videos for CSAW 2013.
CSAW 2013 is supported by Google, HP, Image Centre Group, Microsoft, Sophos, Symantec, Telecom, Trade Me - securitycentral.org.nz/about-security-central/our-programme-sponsors/