Osgoode Hall opened in 1832 and remains a Toronto landmark and a symbol of the law of Ontario. The 14th Annual Doors Open Toronto, presented by Great Gulf, provided an opportunity to explore this historic building.
It's next to Toronto's City Hall, surrounded by iron gates around the property.
Osgoode Hall is one of the oldest buildings in Toronto. It houses the Court of Appeal for Ontario, parts of the Superior Court of Justice and the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Osgoode Hall was built over a period of 184 years and has interesting architectural features. The Rotundra/Atrium, built between 1857 and 1860, is spectacular. The tile floor was purchased from Maw and Company in Shropshire, England.
The 3 courteooms have been restored to the original colour scheme. The chandelier is a reproduction of the original gas fixture.
The Law Society of Upper Canada was the original owner.
The Great Library has holdings of 100,000 volumes along with online resources. The American Room has a two-floor arrangement and space-efficient spiral staircase. The Main Reading Room is also impressive and is similar in style to the two courtrooms. The Great Library has one of the most beautiful rooms in Canada with its intricate ceiling, cork floors and triple cube design.
The Bencher's Reception Room is informal and the Convocation Room is where meetings take place. Paintings of past Treasures are on the wall.
The large Convocation Hall was designed after the great halls of the medieval Inns of Court of England.
The Facade of Osgoode has has changed very little since 1860. The iron fence dates from 1867.
Curly Reynolds, the bagpiper from Picton, has claimed the corner of Queen and University as his spot for many years. He played a few songs for me that are appropriate for the period. He received his bagpipes when he was a young boy and has played at many noteworthy events. Thank you Curly.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?