Check out this panoramic photograph of the Schwartz family and their spectacular peony garden in the year 1917. The photograph starts from the Gaithersburg train station and pivots to the right, passing by the Wells-Robertson House, and ending at Summit Avenue.
At its height, the peony garden included more than 40,000 plants imported from all over the world. Every spring, the garden would attract tourists to Gaithersburg and in 1918, President Woodrow Wilson himself came to see them. The Schwartz house was eventually sold to the City of Gaithersburg and is now City Hall. Many of the peonies were transplanted to the family property on Clopper Road, today part of Seneca Creek State Park.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?