This is a video of the pod-racing game that I made on the PlayStation2 in my second year at the University of Abertay Dundee. It uses a provided framework which allows sprites to be rendered.
Being a geek, I've always had a fondness of Star Wars. As terrible as the prequel films unsubjectively are; the pod-racing from Episode 1 was awesome, especially for my hyper-imaginative child mind at the time. This fondness has always carried through and when I was tasked with creating a pseudo 3D game, I didn't have to think twice about the game I wanted to make.
Due to time constraints, this game didn't stand a chance at rivalling the commercial pod-racing games. This game is basically a suped up drag race. To make it more interesting, there's also obstacles in the way which racers dodge.
The game features are:
- 20 racers
- 4 difficulties for AI
- random obstacles along race path
- dual engines that can overheat and explode
- engine deterioration
- player can choose 4 ships and their colour
- 3 different levels
- HUD displays player positions and engine conditions
- Engine and explosion sounds with varying volumes (not in video)
- A save file for storing the best time