This video is an edited mashup of my backstory: from the time my parents were children in Egypt to about my mid-twenties. It ends with a sequence from one of my favorite films: The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie by Luis Buñuel.
My parents were both born in Egypt: my mother in Cairo and my father in Alexandria. They came to America via Israel (my dad) and Italy (my mom) in the early 1960s. They met and married in Chicago. My brother, sister and I were all born in California.
In between are snippets from:
• "Batman" (my favorite childhood TV show)
• a Hasidic 'farbrengen' or celebration, which was typical of my time growing up in orthodox Jewish schools
• my love for the work of Pablo Picasso, which prompted:
• my move to Mérida, Yucatán, at age 22, to become an artist
• and finally my move to a vast, seething, seedy, exciting Mexico City a few years later.
What's not in this video is what happened afterward: my travels to Melbourne, Barcelona, New York, Berkeley, Paris, Guadalajara, and back to California. These experiences await their own 'backstory' mashups.
I made this 'bio intro' for an MFA Film Production course taught by Martha Coolidge at Chapman University.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?