This is the brief Making of the TV SHOW intro: Stab a Tanyan (The Crew On The Farm).
You can find the final version on my Vimeo profile: vimeo.com/pircho/stabatanyan
Its 6 shots made by simple camera projection technic (to a roughly reconstructed scene).
So we first found out the story and the situations on the location so we had the concept by the day of shooting. Then several pictures were taken so we have to pick each where the actor's / actress' face is OK, and the same of the body pose... Also make some clean and other helpful plates - however the camera was hand held most of the time because of the action scenes, so retouching was an issue. Also we just couldn't remove the fence and trees, and other stuff easily. Each photoshop file had like hurdred layers, with a size of 1,5GB. Also they were composed in 3:2, so some needed to be extended to 16:9. It was an issue during the shooting because with 3:2 we had more freedom to move up and down, while it was not easy to consider the crop factor while dealing the composition...
I used Autodesk Maya for the 3D part of the work. Apart from the camera projection part, extra elements were added to all scenes close to the camera to aid the 3D effect. The most difficult were the horde of furry bees. So I added some kinda "real 3D" ones to the foreground to grab the attention, and rendered a library of them from different angles and random poses achieved by expressions. Then these images were use as sprites basicaly. Well since the possibilies in Maya is quite limited with sprites (especially if you would like to use mental ray), so I can't get depth information from spites easily on a seperate render layer, I had to color code it to the bee's color. Fortunately they are yellow and black, so the R and G chanells basicaly the same, so I could color code the Z depth to one of that and use it during composition. Also the bastard's wigns were semi transparent, so I have to render them seperately...Same method was used with the corn in the air.
Everything else were ordinary 3D job, projection on surfaceshaders. I only had to simulate the milk splash in realflow and shade it to match the enviroment.
I had to render the overlaping parts seperately, so usualy I ended up with about 5-10 color layers and a Zdepth, compositing was not really complicated, expect the transations and the bees :)
I got a deadline of two weeks with an other project running in the same time, so I had to outsource some of the modelling and retouching. I think one can do one shot from 0 to final in 4-5 days (including retouching, modelling, shading, rendering, compositing, and lots of bug fixing, excluding experimenting).
Consequences: It was very helpful during modelling that I recorded lens information and measured objects in the scene. Next time I'll try to use 123D or a Kinect to get a rough modell of the scene, and take pictures of the actresses' and actors' faces so those can be recontructed with facegen (many many bugs and glitches occured during trying to create the exact modell).
Thanks for the cooperation:
Adél Szőnyi, Szandra Szentpeteri, Veronika Nagy and my brother, Gergely Piroska for retouching the photos
Rita Mészaros, Gergő Erdei and Zoltán Toth for additional modelling.
Client: ViaCom Networks (Hungarian VIVA / MTV / Comedy Central)
Director: Dániel Kabai
Photographer: Bertalan Soós
Cast: Fluor, Eszti, Sanyoca, Odett, Ecku
"Hydrogen" by MOON
From the kick-ass video game Hotline Miami OST - which I used to play a lot to kill stress during that time.