Here is another go with my mostly DIY time lapse slider rig (plus a little DVE in post). This is approximately a half an hour of real time. If you watch the tree in the foreground you'll see the foreground to background separation that the motorized slider produced.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with the results thus far. I still have more work to do to get it working exactly as I want it but it's coming along nicely. I've got a lot to learn about working with moving images though!
A couple things I've learned on this round:
1: Unless you have a controller that can be programmed to gradually and precisely change the exposure over time, don't touch the exposure controls during the sequence! Doing so really screws up the scene! Sudden jumps in brightness do not look natural!
2: Use a decent movie editor. iMovie is OK but it doesn't take long to find out it's limitations. i.e. - The Ken Burns effect applies at 30 fps even if you're project is 24 fps. This causes the effect to duplicate frames to compensate for the difference in frame rate (not good!) Thanks to my bro for spotting that one! I'm on a quest, and a budget, to find a replacement. Currently trying out the video editor in Blender (free is good) and getting some good results there.
3: Shoot at a higher res. For these shots I went to half RAW (S RAW) to conserve file space. I didn't think I would need the extra pixels but once I started pushing in with DVE (aka Ken Burns, aaka pan and scan, etc), I realized it would have looked better if I would have started with a higher res.
Feedback is welcome!