STORY: SOMALIA / AMISOM UGANDA POLICE ROTATIONS
SOURCE: AU/UN IST
RESTRICTIONS: This media asset is free for editorial broadcast, print, online and radio use. It is not to be sold on and is restricted for other purposes. All enquiries to email@example.com
CREDIT REQUIRED: AU/UN IST
DATELINE: 27 JULY 2013, Mogadishu, Somalia
1. Wide shot, plane arriving at Mogadishu International Airport
2. Med shot, Ugandan Formed Police Units (FPU) as the disembarking
3. Med shot, Ugandan FPU walking away from plane
4. Wide shot, Ugandan FPU walking away
5. Med shot, FPU members being welcomed by AMISOM official
6. Med shot, Isidore Kururiye, AMISOM Police Operations Coordinator
7. Wide shot, AMISOM Police officials greeting the troops
8. SOUNDBITE (English), Isidore Kururiye, AMISOM Police Operations Coordinator:
"The mission of the Formed Police Unit is to support the Somali Police Force to recover Peace and security by public order management duties and also by providing security to unarmed personnel from AMISOM and from the various other agencies including the United Nations and some embassies.“
9.Wide shot, Isidore Kururiye talking to the new police troops
10.Med shot, AMISOM Ugandan FPU
11. Med shot, Isidore and members of the Ugandan FPU
12. Med shot, FPU’s members listening to the AMISOM Police Coordinator
13. Wide shot, rotating FPU members leaving the base
14. Med shot, Ugandan FPU members waving goodbye
15.Wide shot, Ugandan FPU members walking towards plane
16.Med shot, UN plane
Members of the Ugandan Formed Police Unit serving under the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) today completed their tour of duty. The 135 men and women of the special Police unit, a first of its kind for an African Union Mission, have been in Somalia over the past one-year, providing security and training Somalia’s police force.
The unit made up of two groups of 363 men from Uganda and Nigeria, are tasked with providing security in the liberated areas through Public Order Management including joint patrols together with the Somali Police Force, provision of security to VIPs, individuals and properties.
SOUNDBITE (English), Isidore Kururiye, AMISOM Police Operations Coordinator:
"The mission of the Formed Police Unit is to support the Somali Police Force to recover Peace and security by public order management duties and also by providing security to unarmed personnel from AMISOM and from the various other agencies including the United Nations and some embassies. “
As the military wing of AMISOM and their counterparts in the Somali National Army (SNA) fight battles and gain territory, the need for a well-trained police force becomes important, to ensure that security is maintained in the liberated areas and peace prevails.
The Somali Police Force lacks the capacity and continues to need support from their AMISOM partners. The Formed Police Units are playing a crucial role in bridging this gap to improve security through mentoring and advisory support to the Somali police force on basic police duties, such as human rights observation, crime prevention strategies, community policing and search procedures.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?