study 5 of 13 on Revival and Reformation
Scriptural Basis: Matt. 26:69–74; Acts 5:28–32, 6:3–10, 9:1–9; Phil. 2:5–8
Key Text: “The weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ” (2 Cor. 10:4, 5, NKJV).
1. What ideas and images come to mind when you think about the word “obedience”?
2. How is the outpouring of the Holy Spirit related, if at all, to obedience?
3. What do we learn about obedience from the experience of Stephen in the New Testament?
4. Scripture says that Jesus “emptied Himself.” What does this mean?
5. Why do we so often live such Spiritless lives when Christ offers us so freely the gift of His Holy Spirit?
6. In what practical ways can we stay in touch with the leading of the Holy Spirit?